The old town is composed of Varoussi and old Manavika districts. Varoussi is located on the outskirts of the Fortress. During the Ottoman occupation it was a Christian district. Until the 1930’s Varoussi was the district of mansion of Trikala and today it is protected of laws about preservation o old houses.
The old Varusian houses were built between 17th and 19th centuries. The numerous churches are reflecting the economic and cultural bloom of the 18th and 19th centuries, which was the result of the development of trade, crafts and small industries.
Varoussi is distinguished for the beautiful mansions with the elaborate architectural rhythms and the long marquees. In this district are the oldest churches of the city, which are built very close to one another.
The temples that are preserved today are Agioi Anargyroi (frescoes of 1575), Agios Dimitrios (before 1588), Agios Ioannis of Heleimonos and Agios Panteleimonas (late 16th – early 17th century), Agios Ioannis Prodromos (1674) , Agia Marina (1766), Agia Paraskevi (1843), Panagia Faneromeni (1869-1853), Holy Visitation (1863-1877), Agios Stefanos (1882) and Saint Nicholas.
The continuation of the Varoussi district to the main square is the old Manavika, a neighborhood of the old town with characteristic, uniform architecture, where there are some of the city’s best taverns and cafes.